A Dexterous Robot Hand Can Function in the Dark Like People
May 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM EDT
The pursuit of achieving “authentic” dexterity in robotic hands has been a longstanding challenge for researchers in the field of robotics. While robot grippers and suction cups are capable of picking up and moving objects, more intricate tasks like assembly, reorientation, packaging, and insertion have traditionally required human intervention. Despite this hurdle, recent advancements in sensing technology and machine learning algorithms have sparked a rapid transformation within the field of robotic manipulation. Columbia Engineering researchers have exhibited a highly dexterous robot hand, which combines an advanced sense of touch with motor learning algorithms to reach a high level of dexterity. In addition to the increased dexterity, the hand worked without the use of any external cameras, making it immune to illumination, occlusion, and other difficulties. It can even operate in complete darkness. Meanwhile, Knightscope (NASDAQ:KSCP) has created mobile robots that are completely autonomous, using a system of LIDAR, GPS, sonar, IMUs, 4K cameras and high-fidelity audio to deter crime and minimize risks. Knightscope’s clients include publicly-traded companies ABM (NYSE:ABM), Pacific Gas and Electric Company (NYSE:PCG), PENN Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ:PENN), and Lowe’s (NYSE:LOW).
Knightscope (NASDAQ:KSCP), a major manufacturer of ASRs and blue light emergency communication systems, has continued to deploy cutting-edge security technology around the country in healthcare facilities, educational institutions, commercial buildings, municipal governments, and corporate campuses.
Knightscope has completed about 40 new sales and renewed eight ASR subscription contracts since the year’s beginning. Several new purchase orders have also been received by the company from its resellers.
On May 11, the company announced that the City of San Antonio has purchased and will be installing Knightscope’s K1 Blue Light Tower, an emergency communication system to help for visitors, hikers, joggers, bikers, sightseers, and park staff. The company also revealed that that AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) will be hosting the Robot Roadshow on May 23-24 at the AT&T Discovery District. To date, Knightscope’s Robot Roadshow has made 82 landings in 25 states and Washington, D.C.
Two days earlier, Knightscope announced that for the seventh year in a row, a well-known media and entertainment company had renewed its contract to continue patrolling one of its North Hollywood locations.
This client, a Knightscope early adopter who desires to remain anonymous, first signed a contract in the hopes that an Autonomous Security Robot (ASR) would help deter criminal trespassing, criminal mischief, and theft that had occurred prior to the robot’s arrival. The client renewed their contract for another year of 24-hour/365 service after six years of unbroken service.
In addition, Texas State University awarded Knightscope a contract to service 103 emergency phone systems. Knightscope‘s acquisition of CASE Emergency Systems in late 2022 will result in further top-line revenue growth. Knightscope, like its ASR division, is primarily a service provider. Public safety personnel are highly respected and expect prompt, simple, personalized, and empathic treatment in order to help protect the places where people live, work, study, and visit.
Last month, Knightscope reduced its $5 million backlog of new orders by more than 12%. Several ASRs have been shipped to California, Florida, New York, Washington, and Washington DC in the last 30 days, totaling approximately $258,000 in annualized income. Shipments of blue light emergency communication systems, which earned around $417,000 in revenue, also contributed to the reduction of the backlog.
K5 robots will also be used as a test project by the New York Police Department (NYPD) to patrol a Manhattan subway station this summer.
Recent News From Some of Knightscope’s Clients
ABM (NYSE:ABM) is expanding its unique data-enabled smart parking solution, ABM Vantage, by introducing and expanding aviation-specific services. ABM is redefining the guest parking experience with this new option, which has not previously benefited from technology. Unlike other parking technologies in the ever-changing aviation market, ABM Vantage is the only solution that operates inside a single connected ecosystem, allowing it to exploit existing equipment while connecting with new platforms and infrastructure. ABM Vantage delivers an open-system accelerator and a comprehensive suite of professional services for the enhanced parking experience by linking and centralizing parking technology, including electric charging stations, valet, shuttle, curbside, and more. This improves the traveler’s experience while raising returns for the facility operators.
By 2025, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (NYSE:PCG) plans to have cut 20% of the emissions coming from its natural gas pipeline system. The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) verified in its 2023 report that PG&E exceeded its emission reduction goal two years ahead of schedule. PG&E submitted its annual emissions data to the CPUC in June 2022. Using 2015 emissions levels as a baseline, the data showed that PG&E has reduced emissions by more than 24% by mid-year 2022, with an additional 5% expected by the end of 2023.
PENN Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ:PENN) closed in February its previously announced acquisition of Barstool Sports, Inc. For around $388 million, PENN acquired the remaining shareholding in Barstool Sports. Barstool Sports, which is celebrating its 20th year, has reached a big milestone with the acquisition. Dave Portnoy founded Barstool in 2003 as a free sports and gambling newspaper, and it has since expanded into a significant digital player in sports, lifestyle, and entertainment. The organization, which has over 200 million passionate followers, generates and delivers unrivaled sports and humorous content through its huge network of over 100 shows and 90+ personalities. Its content offerings include podcasts, video, social media, live events, pay-per-view, and a burgeoning commerce sector, firmly establishing it as a multimedia powerhouse.
Pros and their businesses must constantly look for innovative methods to save time and money. According to Lowe’s (NYSE:LOW) proprietary research, 61% of Pros expect retailers to assist them shop fast so they can return to work. As a result, Lowe’s is releasing a suite of Pro-centric products today, expanding on the success of Lowe’s MVPs Pro Rewards and Partnership ProgramTM. Now that Lowe’s MVPs Business Tools are accessible on Lowes.com and the Lowe’s mobile application, Pros may quickly find time-saving solutions, spend less time on the jobsite, and conduct business from any location. By offering easy order placement and tracking, Lowe’s MVPs Business Tools help professionals streamline their restocking process.
Knightscope has continued to showcase its ASRs and blue light emergency communication systems at the Robot Roadshow, an exciting and attention-grabbing event meant to foster direct interactions with potential clients and stimulate discussions about the company’s unique technology. So far, the Robot Roadshow has visited 79 states. Jena Choctaw Pines Casino in Louisiana will be the next site on May 9-11.
Featured Image DepositPhotos @ Sdecoret
1) The author of the Article, or members of the author’s immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, Knightscope, Inc. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from Knightscope, Inc.’s Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc.) three hundred and four thousand USD for 90 days (63 business days).
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. Market Jar has not independently verified or otherwise investigated all such information. None of Market Jar or any of their respective affiliates, guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any such information. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, “forward-looking statements”), which reflect management’s expectations regarding Knightscope, Inc.’s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as “predicts”, “projects”, “targets”, “plans”, “expects”, “does not expect”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “anticipate” or “does not anticipate”, “believe”, “intend” and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to Knightscope, Inc.’s industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) Knightscope, Inc.’s business plans and strategies; (d) services that Knightscope, Inc. intends to offer; (e) Knightscope, Inc.’s milestone projections and targets; (f) Knightscope, Inc.’s expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) Knightscope, Inc.’s intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h) Knightscope, Inc.’s expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of management’s experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute Knightscope, Inc.’s business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) Knightscope, Inc.’s ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) Knightscope, Inc.’s ability to enter into contractual arrangements with additional Pharmacies; (e) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (f) Knightscope, Inc.’s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (g) political and regulatory stability; (h) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (i) changes in applicable legislation; (j) stability in financial and capital markets; and (k) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of Knightscope, Inc. to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) Knightscope, Inc.’s operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact Knightscope, Inc.’s business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing Knightscope, Inc.’s business operations (e) Knightscope, Inc. may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.
Except as required by law, Knightscope, Inc. undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does Knightscope, Inc. nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither Knightscope, Inc. nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of Knightscope, Inc. or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of Knightscope, Inc. or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of Knightscope, Inc. or such entities.Read more investing news on PressReach.com.Subscribe to the PressReach RSS feeds: